Sunday, November 25, 2007

A Day In D.C.

The day after Thanksgiving is called Black Friday. That's when most mentally unstable people go out Christmas shopping because they think they're going to get the best deals. Don't get me wrong I might have done that if I had been highly medicated. One, I don't like shopping all that much. Two, I HATE crowds. Three, I don't feel like getting up at four in the morning to get THE best deals. And four, you're going to hate me for this one, I have most of my shopping done.

So instead we decided to visit our nation's capitol. We figured it wouldn't be too crowded the day after Thanksgiving. Dad hadn't been so we thought this would be a perfect opportunity. It wasn't all that crowded. We were able to find parking without too much trouble. And we didn't freeze our butts off. Major bonuses on both fronts. It wasn't overly crowded, but you could tell that there were quite a few people that had the same bright idea that we had.

First we went to see the White House. Every picture you see is of the rear of the building so it was an experience to get to walk up and see the front. Of course there were the hippies out protesting the war. Geez people take a holiday! Better yet, get a life!

So we went to the Lincoln Memorial and walked those stairs. Saw the Washington Monument and the tidal basin. Drove past the Jefferson Memorial. Saw the Vietnam Memorial from across the way, but didn't visit it. Dad couldn't remember names of his classmates that had served and we didn't want to get really depressed so we passed on that stark reminder. We stopped by the Korean War Memorial and the World War II Memorial. After that we went into one of the many Smithsonian wings and checked out some art. We were able to view some of Rembrandt, Renoir and Monet's works. Which was quite neat. After that we decided to get some lunch and then head home for the day. I'm glad we were able to do that.

No comments: