Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Opening Day

First let me state that I'm not a die hard baseball fan. Most of the information I get is from watching ESPN with the hubby in the morning or evening. And that's about it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching the game. But I'm not so much into the stats and such.

So today was opening day at Fenway park. I know some of my friends back at Ingleside might actually care about that. No Phil I didn't mean you. I only registered this because they discussed it at length on the radio and said that the person throwing out the pitch would give everyone goosebumps. That peaked my interest, but I didn't listen the rest of the day. I do have a life of sorts.

I thought nothing more of it until I watched ESPN with the hubby this evening. Buckner? Who's that? Before you go crying for my head please read the above statement I made about baseball. The hubby had to explain the whole Buckner story to me as I'm an idiot when it comes to baseball history. Hence the reason you can click on the title and go to a story on it. Hey I even classed it up by getting the article from The Boston Globe. Where's my props?

Sad that it took something like twenty plus years for Sox fans for to forgive a man for an error in a game. I have been told that since I'm a Cardinal fan I might not understand because we're a nicer breed. Hm.

EDITED: In an interview an emotional Buckner stated, when asked if he had second thoughts about attending this opening day, that he had to forgive the media for everything they had put him and his family through. Personally I think that would include the fans. They did a lot to the man too. Not just the media. I don't know that I could be so forgiving. After so many years of crap. He's a better man than I am. That's a lot of emotional pain that was inflicted upon him and his family.

No comments: