Sunday, June 1, 2008

Come Fly With Me

So today the hubby and I took a helicopter tour of the island with Bird's Eye View. Originally we were supposed to do this yesterday at 3:30, but the weather was atrocious so the pilot called and rescheduled for today at 2 pm. It was a gorgeous day for it. So I'm glad for the change. What many of my friends and family may or may not know is I am terrified of flying. However this was an opportunity that I didn't think I should let pass us by. So I swallowed my fear and grabbed life by the horns. Boy am I glad I did. It was a twenty minute tour of the island. We could have gone for longer, but we would have had to pay a bit more for it.

Jim says that helicopters don't actually fly. They're just so ugly that the earth repels them. I don't think that's necessarily true about our helicopter. I thought it was cute. Tiny, but cute. Our pilot, Jeff, was fun, friendly and very professional. I sat in the back since this was the first time I'd ever flown in a helicopter. I felt a bit safer back there. The hubby sat up front since he had flown in a helicopter before. He also took all the pictures. So any complaints please direct them to him.

This is just one of the mini videos that he took while we flew.

The cool thing was that U2's Beautiful Day was playing over the headsets as we flew. They also play it on their site. We also got to hear all the air traffic chatter, since they don't have a tower here in Newport. It was very interesting. I was afraid to say anything because I didn't want any other pilots to hear me and think I was an idiot. It was really cool to listen in on. Our pilot even spoke with a Coast Guard pilot.

There were tons of things that Jeff pointed out. I didn't take the pictures so I'm not putting them all in. This is the old Kennedy complex. We did fly by Newport Vineyards and Greenvale Vineyards. Sadly everything looks the same as I go through the pictures and I don't have the patience right now to wade through them all to figure out which is which and post them. Most of the time I spent admiring the water and not listening like I should have. It's so clear and beautiful. So it's a good thing that Jim did take the pictures since I was enamoured with the water.

Afterwards we headed to the Newport Creamery for some Awful Awfuls. It was just too pretty of a day to go straight home. Although I need to learn to listen to my inner child more often. The hubby got a cotton candy one while I got a cappuccino crunch. I had been debating between a bubble gum or choco nutter, but thought I should be more adult. What a let down. I should have gone with bubble gum!

Jim will be typing about the experience in our Rosatodi blog so click here if you're interested.

Lucky for us they have videos of the tour for sale and we purchased one. We'll watch it some day soon. We thought it would make a very nice souvenir.

No comments: