Sunday, April 12, 2009

I'm A Geek!

I had meant to post this sooner, but as some of you know the past few weeks have been a bit busy for me.

So a while ago I was working with the SOS on getting our auction items put together. One of the women there was doing a lot of the data entry so I was being the cheerleader and telling her how much she was appreciated. She, being the witty one, told me that if this was a horror movie I would be the first one to go. Not missing a beat, I replied 'Thank God! I don't want to have to run around for the next hour or so screaming and trying not to get killed. I'll sit here with my drink waiting for the rest of you to get offed.' They laughed, protested a bit and I then replied, 'Resistance is futile.' Which got them laughing harder.

Michelle's a geek!' One proclaimed. 'She knows about the Borg!'

Now most people would be offended by this statement. I know in my teen years I would have probably wanted to crawl in a hole. But I'm an adult now and words like geek really don't phase me anymore.

We went on to talk about how we watched Star Trek: The Next Generation when it originally aired. Of course this was nothing we would have freely admitted at the time for fear of being labeled a geek. One of the women even said that her husband would torment her if he knew, because he thought he was cool. And he's a nuke. Insert the eye roll here!

Man what a great group of gals! I really enjoyed working with them.

I digress, my geekdom goes back further. I watched the original Star Trek episodes, in reruns of course. I'm not that old. In fact it's one of the things that brought my sweet baboo and me closer. During a conversation I'd quipped 'Ah the trouble with tribbles.' At that moment he knew I was the one for him.

You'd think I'd matured as time went on and I grew older. But that is so not the case. It may no longer be Star Trek. Although I am anxiously awaiting the release of the latest Star Trek movie this May. It's ranged from many things. Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the series not the movie), Stargate SG-1, Battlestar Galactica (although the ending sucked for me on the latest one), Supernatural, and Firefly.

Heck my best buddy and I will discuss episodes on end. We used to call each other after some of the shows to dissect them. And we still think that Firefly is shiny! And we don't just watch the show for the gorgeous men. Although, it does help.

So for all those who think to taunt someone with the word geek and mean it as a slur. I say geeks rule! Who else could have the imagination to come up with some of the most fun TV to watch. And I proudly say I'm a geek!

And for anyone to whom read this post and is completely confused all I have to say is ask a geek. Just prepare for a long discussion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what is the difference between a geek and a nerd? a lot but the biggest is us Geeks get laid!
G