Saturday, January 14, 2012

Show Us Your Life - Military Families

I really enjoy reading Navy Wife, Navy Life. Watch me sink or swim and found that Kim's doing an interesting thing through another blog. So I found on Kelly's Korner that she does a 'Show Us Your Life' and this time it's about Military Families.  I think I can actually comment on this one for once.

Wedding Day
For those of you who know me or think you know me you can feel free to skip this. If you don't, feel free to read on and learn about my ongoing journey as a Navy Wife.

So who am I?

My name is Michelle. I'm from Illinois, but honestly I don't miss it.  Especially since I've seen how cold and snowy it is there and it's not here.  I'm a Midwestern girl who has discovered that the ocean is a wonderful thing!

I married my high school sweetie just days after he graduated from boot camp. Yes, we were young.  Just out of high school.

Friendship Oak in Mississippi
Dining Out
During our wonderful journey my sweetie went through NROTC and was commissioned as an officer in the Navy.

We've moved 10 times in the 18 years that we've been married.  I've had more jobs than I'm willing to recount, but I don't care.

I feel that I've been really lucky since we have been on both sides of Navy life.  As enlisted wife and as an officer wife.  Which can bias some people against you.
Deployment 2010
We've been extremely lucky in our adventures.  We have only deployed twice.  How that happened I have NO clue.  I know people who've been out more than they've been home.

We've made wonderful friends along the way and it's been a great learning experience.  There's good and bad, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

3 comments:

Lacy said...

Just wanted to say hi from Kelly's link up! My husband is a Navy officer and we are stationed in San Diego right now. It is fun reading other stories and connecting with other military families! Nice to meet you!

Unknown said...

gah... ten times in eighteen years???? that is a LOT of moving.

we might be moving this fall, and that has me all worked up. i don't like the base we'd be moving to, not ONE bit. :[

how do you do it? have you ever moved somewhere you hated?

Michelle D. said...

Look at moving as an adventure. We've been lucky as we've stayed in the same basic area. You make roots where ever the military sends you.

I've only HATED one place we lived, Mississippi, but still managed to have fun there. It is one place that I won't go back though.

Don't stress about your move. I'm a list maker. I list everything that needs to be accomplished before the move (i.e. getting a new place, utility turn ons and offs). Then I try to find neat things that I would like to do. A new farmer market? A botanical garden? I find this helps A LOT.

Best of luck on your next move.