Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Domestic Diva Strikes! - BLT Bites

So I've come to the realization that I'm going to be attending more functions that require me to bring a dish or two to it.

Color me panicked!

I've never claimed to be a good cook.  So I started looking for things that are easy to make.  And then I came across this wonderful things called Pinterest.  Oh the hours I can waste on this site.  But I have found some helpful things.

And so I thought I'd share.  I had a social function (which was SO much fun) that I need to bring something to.

I made BLT bites that I discovered through Pinterest at this wonderful site.  It's easy to do, doesn't take all that much time to make and it is yummy!  I came home with an empty plate.

You'll need:
16 small cherry tomatoes (I used cocktail tomatoes)
1/2 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled (I used a whole package)
1/2 cup mayonnaise, not Miracle Whip
1/3 cup minced green onion, white and green parts 
2 Tbsp. minced romaine lettuce
Ingredients
I actually used cocktail tomatoes.  They are bigger, which makes them easier to scoop out.  Also I used an entire package of bacon, because there is no such thing as too much bacon (in my opinion).  And one final note, I think ice burg lettuce will work fine, I just happened to have romaine on hand.

Directions:
Cut a thin slice off the stem of each tomato, then scoop out and discard the pulp.  This is why I said to get the bigger tomatoes.  You'll thank me, I promise.

Drain the tomatoes, cut side down, on a paper towel for at least 10 minutes.  I did it for a bit longer because my tomatoes seemed really juicy.  You can judge for yourself though.

While the tomatoes are draining, mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl.  Stir gently to mix.  I actually went a little lighter on the green onions because I was a bit worried they would overpower.  They didn't.

Spoon the mixture into the tomato.

Refrigerate, covered, at least one hour, but not over night.  Serve chilled.

Granted, mine are larger than the other blogs because I used grape tomatoes, but I think it works well.

An easy dish that takes 1 1/2 hours give or take.  Is easy.  Doesn't require a lot of prep and is quite yummy!

Now go try it!







No comments: