Saturday, August 25, 2007

Escape of the Inner Child


On August 23rd I witnessed a transformation come over the hubby. Upon arriving at the Washington National Air and Space Museum my 31 year old husband became as excited as a 5 year old on Christmas morning. It was a sight to behold.

I’ve always known his fascination with planes, but I didn’t realize that doing this would make him so happy. Nor did I realize how much he loved the F-4U Corsair. I dubbed it the Corsair Affair after realizing how many pictures he’d taken of the thing. I even had to tell him to stop after catching him snapping a picture of the same plane for something like the third or fourth time. Man did our digital camera ever get the workout. We killed the battery. I actually ended up purchased a small model of the plane for him.

All in all this museum is well set up, but not very well lit. We got to see a Tomcat, the Enola Gay, a concorde and the space shuttle Enterprise. Which I found quite interesting. It’s kind of sad to find out that some of the planes are the last of their kind. Especially when they humanize them by giving them a name like George or Irving. We even did one of the IMAX movies. Not what we were hoping for and a bit Disney if you ask me. Oh well! What was supposed to be maybe two hours ended up being around five hours. All in all it was a fun day.

And no day is complete without having at least one, maybe two goofy pictures.

No comments: