Saturday, August 11, 2007

How Did We Manage That?

August 9th was supposed to be a day of rest from the battle fields. We were supposed to go to Washington's birthplace, Lee's birthplace, the winery I work at, and do a brief visit at Fredericksburg battlefield. And possibly go downtown Fredericksburg to take in some of the history there. Stay out of the heat since it was to be a scorcher that day. That's not how it happened though.

We went to the Fredericksburg battlefield first. Don't get me wrong, it's interesting. But I think I've done this battlefield three times or more since we live near by. It should have only taken us an hour, maybe an hour and a half. But it took us much longer. Most of the day in fact. Now I will admit we did get a late start, but still. . . We also decided to do the driving tour. Which was nice since we got to be in the air conditioning. Note to self. Bring a book. Although we did stop for Chipotle's for lunch. Yum!

Once we finally got away from that we headed for the other activities that had been scheduled for the day, but due to time constraints we could only do two. We went to Washington's birthplace first. Something neither the hubby or I had done. We got there near the end of the day so the park ranger didn't even charge us. I thought that was really nice of him. It is a beautiful area. We were able to go to the location of where the house stood and stroll the grounds. Luckily we left just before the storm hit.

Luckily for us the winery that I work at is on summer hours and stays open until six. Well until Labor Day that is. So we were able to do a tasting. I got to see some people that I hadn't seen from work in a while. Which was nice, but also a bit distracting. Also found out which wines Sarah and Derek enjoy. Needless to say they have very good taste. They like the black label wines. We were also able to give them a tour. Unfortunately our wine maker had already left for the day so I couldn't introduce them and pick his brain. I tend to do that a lot.

For dinner we headed out to a place called Good Eats in Kinsale. It's a bit of a hoof, but we thought it was worth it. It really doesn't look like much from the outside, but remember the adage 'Don't judge a book by it's cover.' The place looks like it could have been an old gas station at one point in time. The inside is nice though. The only term the hubby and I can think to describe it is chez country. And we don't mean that in a bad way. The food is fantastic. Derek and I split a bottle of Malbec. They do carry Ingleside wine, which makes me happy, but I really wanted Malbec with my prime rib. I'd say Derek must have liked the food since he did finish off the rest of my steak and Sarah's. I was so full that I fell asleep on the way home. Bad hostess.

One thing I did learn so far this week. I have camera envy. I want a new digital camera!

No comments: