Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Ones I Rarely Speak Of

Normally I'll blog about Odie, the mouthy cat, or Kaiser, the wonder dog. But rarely do I seem to talk about our other animal children, the birds. I plan to rectify that in this post. Don't know why this is. They're cute too. In a non-furry sort of way. Hey they are my children.

Commander Poo Poo and Princess, our cockatiels, are adjusting nicely to their new place in Rhode Island. They love it when I open the blinds in the morning so they can look out into the world from their safe cage. They truly enjoy it when I let them wander about the house while I'm cleaning their cage. I have to do this while the dog is outside. The birds and the dog don't get along that well. Actually Commander Poo Poo and Kaiser don't seem to care for each other. But today was an adventure for the birdies.

This morning they got to take a shower. No stinky birds here! Princess really likes this since we don't have a lot of water pressure. So it was like a gentle rain. She sways from side to side when she's brought up to the shower head. It felt a bit chilly in the house so I brought out my hair dryer and turned it on warm low. They were in Heaven. Nice and dry before they went back into the cage. They aren't quite as cute when wet. They look a bit like a drowned rat.

But the fun didn't stop there. We went to Fall River, MA to Animal Instincts to get their nails and wings trimmed. I couldn't find anyone closer and the bird person from PetCo recommended this place. I'll always go with a recommendation over finding someone in the Yellow Pages. Besides it's not more than a half hour drive from the house. They always enjoy going for a car ride. And it was a lovely day so we didn't hurry from the house or building to the car and back. It's a bit of excitement for them.

They always seem to feel better after a trim. Princess didn't need her nails trimmed. Apparently she bites her own nails and keeps them manageable. Commander Poo Poo on the other hand did need the nails trimmed. They both needed their wings trimmed, but I knew that since they could both take flight. Yipes!

Commander Poo Poo was his normal aggressive little self. While Princess was a sweet little darling. Like always. Once they got home, they immediately napped. But first they had to climb all over me and express their happiness at how their day had gone. Princess nibbles my finger nails while Commander Poo Poo likes to play with my hair. Which is fine as long as no one gets too rough. Commander Poo Poo tends to bite hard. There's a reason he kept the name Poo Poo.

No pictures at the moment, but I'll try to get some up later this month of all the babies.

No comments: