Saturday, June 21, 2008

It's Just 5K. That's A Walk In The Park. Right?

Friday I walked the 5K By The Bay with some other ladies. We went in as a team. We called ourselves the Disney Dames and as you can see from the photo we all had bright pink shirts. Hey we didn't want to be missed. We each had our favorite Disney character on the back of our shirt. I, of course, had Si and Am with Mischievous underneath. Karen had Stitch with Trouble underneath. Johanna had Cruella with Sophisticated underneath. Michelle had Arielle with Vivacious underneath. And Christy had Goofy with Gawrsh underneath.

We were not the only walkers this time. There were three other women behind us who decided to walk too. Which was nice. Another new thing was the hubby was there this time to cheer me on. That's why I have all these pictures with me actually in them this time around. And with all the people it does actually take a bit for you to actually get across the starting line.

This gentleman is actually the first person to cross the finish line. And yes there was a police car ahead of the race and a van at the end. They did block off traffic at certain points so we could get going. I'm sure those people had very charitable thoughts about us. His name is Angel Martin (at least that's what it says on the website) and he ran it in 16 minutes and 58 seconds.

Christy was the first in our group to cross the finish line. Gawrsh was an excellent statement to put on her shirt. This was the first time I'd ever met her. She just took off. She hadn't even glanced at the map and just looked back to us for guidance. I'm sure if she'd known where she need to go her time would have been much better. But
40 minutes and 8 seconds is nothing to sneeze at. She was determined to pass the runner behind her and she did. Good on her!

I came in next with Karen. I was bound and determined to get in at or under 45 minutes. Praying for under, but I'd be happy if I was at it. I hadn't been walking prior to the race like I should have. Jim's incentive was dinner wherever I wanted if i could achieve this. My time? 43 minutes and 22 seconds. That's right! I did it! Of course I was obnoxious and told him I wanted to go to Ramsey's restaurant in New York. I do, but not this time around.

Johanna and Michelle weren't far behind. This was Michelle's first walk. It looks like she had a bit of a problem at the end, but she did really well. We didn't win any prizes as a team, but we had fun. There was a nice breeze off the bay and the sun was out. In fact I got a bit pink for my troubles. When am I gonna learn to apply sunscreen?

No comments: