Friday, September 19, 2008

Saying Goodbye

Most people say that an animal has no soul. I disagree. This is Odie. He has been with me for 13 years and today I had to say goodbye to him. It was one of the hardest things that I've had to do. How can you look at this vibrant, beautiful cat and say that? Have you no feelings?

Yesterday he was a vibrant cat, climbing over my husband and grousing about the state of his litter box. Or was it because he wanted more food? I've been sidetracked though. Sorry. Mouthing off to the point that I'd shout at him to shut up. Today he couldn't breathe and was in seriously bad shape. What I would give now to hear him meow at me.

He was beautiful with his kohl rimmed eyes and lips. And his beautiful yellow fur. It was like soft sunshine. It's hard to believe that I won't have him to cuddle with anymore. And I'll miss that purr of his that starts as soon as I touched him. That purr could make anyone smile.

So this is a tribute to my darling cat.

You were known by many names. We named you Odie because your first name was too offensive, but you went by many other names. You were Chub Chub, Odiferous, Odums, Odie Oh, Odie the Great Hunter and Chubby Odie. My brother and sweet baboo preferred Chub Chub or Chubby Odie. While my buddy, Greta and I liked Odums. If I was in a whimsical mood I would sing out Odie Odie Oh and you would come running.

He liked to head butt people and that was his way of giving hugs. He would put his face up to yours and you'd have to make kissing noises to get him to back off. The only cat I've ever known of that gave out hugs and kisses. He was extremely affectionate and would purr at the drop of the hat. You had everyone under your spell the moment they touched you. You minx you!

I drink a glass of Herding Cats in your honor tonight my sweet kitten. I though it appropriate. It's a red wine. Thank you for the 13 years of companionship. The cuddles when I needed them, even when I thought you were being a pest. Thank you for seeing me through the good times and the hard. For letting me cry in your fur and for dancing with you in joy. You were a great friend. And I hope that your final journey is a good one.

I'll see you on the other side my great hunter.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful and fitting tribute to a beloved friend.
Odums will be mised.
Greta

JA3 said...

Odie-O-O was one of my favorite kitties. Thank you for sharing him!

Anonymous said...

What an excellent tribute to such a wonderful little kittie. He will be missed.

Seabunny