Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Some Days

I feel the absolute need to scream when I hear the following. Or maybe throw things. But we won't get into my aggressiveness right now.

Person: What does your husband do?

Me: He's in the military.

Person: Oh so how many children do you have? Or. Oh it must be nice to have it so easy.

Why is people assume that because my husband is military my life is peachy keen and I must have children? It's maddening. I didn't marry him to sit at home and have babies and then do nothing all day. That's why I found this article 'The Making Of A Military Wife' very well written.

That article led me to this article. I know people who may be reading this now have either said this or thought this. I would hope they read these articles and then think before they spout their nonsense again.

My life isn't a hardship, but it's not the cakewalk that some people seem to think. I don't sit on the couch all day eating bon bons and watching TV. Okay I admit I do watch quite a bit of TV, but that's not all I do. Honest! I maintain the home, schedule things the hubby needs done, run his errands as well as my own, and I am in two different 'clubs'. Then there's the worrying about the spouse when he actually deploys.

But no one thinks of this sort of this. No too many people have this misconception that all military wives are either baby factories or they are living in the lap of luxury.

Catch a clue people! That's not how things go.

Side note: I don't know what set this rant into motion, but I feel much better now. Thanks for your concern.

2 comments:

JA3 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JA3 said...

And contrary to what you read, some of us have a penis. :)

The deleted comment was mine, and although it was very similar to this one, the meaning was entirely different. Reading the difference between the two, I'm guessing Michelle is unconscious with laughter.