Monday, May 18, 2009

Nearing The End

So tomorrow is the beginning of the end for this season of American Idol. Yes I admit I watched this season. And I was actually watching for the music, not the drama. Actually I really like the Ford commercials. I know I'm weird. Was it a fantastic season? I'm not so sure about that. This year they had 13 instead of 12, started a 'save' that could only be used once and added a fourth judge. Trying to create more drama. And do me that smells like a sinking ship floundering at sea.

But let's take a look at this season's contestants. Shall we?

During the first there were two contestants that were eliminated during Michael Jackson week. Yes you read that right, they did a Michael Jackson week. Jorge Nunez sang 'Never Can Say Goodbye' by the Jackson 5 and Jasmine Murray sang 'I'll Be There' by the Jackson 5. Obviously these were not well received since both went home. Alexis Grace's rendition of 'Dirty Diana' by Michael Jackson really rocked!

The second week they did Grand Ole Opry and the mentor was Randy Travis. Sadly Alexis Grace went home. She sang 'Jolene' by Dolly Parton. This was a massive mistake in my opinion. I was so NOT impressed with Adam Lambert's Middle Eastern twist on Johnny Cash's 'Ring of Fire'. I almost started hating him immediately. What a way to mess up a good song! I did truly enjoy Megan Joy's version of Patsy Cline's 'Walkin After Midnight'. And she even did it while she was recovering from the flu!

The third week was Motown Week and the mentor was Smokey Robinson. They were celebrating 50 years of Motown. Sadly Michael Sarver was eliminated. He sang 'Ain't Too Proud To Beg' by the Temptations. He was one of my favorites and I was hoping he'd make it to the top three. Honestly I think they should have eliminated Anoop Desai. He may have sounded good to others, but to me he sounded like a bad lounge act. His rendition of 'Ooo Baby Baby' by the Miracles made me want to hide under the blankets.

The fourth week was Popular Downloads. Really? Do they not have enough to draw from that they had to choose something like this? Insert the eye roll here. Megan Joy sang 'Turn Your Lights Down Low'. Which I agree with the judges. Not so much in the loving it department. But Simon was a prick about it, saying they wouldn't even consider saving her. Allison Iraheta sang 'Don't Speak' by No Doubt. Defintely showing her age there. While Scott MacIntrye sang Billy Joel's 'Just The Way You Are'. Very nice!

The fifth week was, predictably, Birth Year Songs. They do this one every year. And now these songs are making me feel old. Scott MacIntyre sang 'The Search Is Over' by Survivor and was sent home. Paula and Kara wanted to save Scott, but Randy and Simon did not. And it has to be a unanimous vote. Boo! He was another of my favorites. He did tend to use the piano as a crutch. I must say Adam Lambert made up for week two with 'Mad World'. And Danny Gokey sang 'Stand By Me' by Ben E. King. One of my favorites.

The sixth week was Songs of the Cinema. The mentor for this week was Quentin Tarintino, which I thought was a really weird choice. But he was, in my opinion, quite good. No one was eliminated. The judges saved Matt Giraud. Really? He sang 'Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman' by Bryan Admas. Not impressed really. They save this hack? Threw away that save for someone with much more talent like Alexis or Allison.

The seventh week was Disco. Much harder this time around since two were to be eliminated since no one was eliminated the previous week. Lil Rounds sang 'I'm Every Woman' by Chaka Khan and Anoop Desai sang 'Dim All The Lights' by Donna Summers. Both went home. Honestly I thought Matt Giraud's version of the Bee Gee's 'Staying Alive' was sub par. Yet again the judges wasted a save on the wrong person. Lil Rounds was robbed.


The eighth week was Rat Pack Standards with Jaime Foxx as the mentor. He was very in your face with the contestants. Which I think freaked Danny Gokey out, but he did very well. So he must have remembered what he was taught. Matt Giraud's 'My Funny Valentine' by Frank Sinatra did not make it on to the next round. This took way to long to get this man eliminated. I thought the contestants did a really good job at this one.

The ninth week was Rock Week with Slash as the mentor. Okay that was just too cool! Slash? This should be very interesting. Allison Iraheta sang Janis Joplin's 'Cry Baby'. And she was sadly eliminated. Danny Gokey sang 'Dream On' by Aerosmith and I think it was awesome. I also loved the duet by Kris Allen and Danny Gokey of 'Renegade' by Styx. It was truly awesome. However, I thought Kris Allen's rendition of 'Come Together' by the Beatles sucked. I thought he should have gone home.

The tenth week was Judge's Choice and Contestant's Choice. Paula chose Terrence Trent D'Arby's 'Dance Little Sister'. Let's try choosing songs the audience would recognize you hack! Kara and Randy chose OneRepublic's 'Apologize' for Kris. And Simon chose U2's 'One' for Adam. Which was a very nice choice. Adam chose 'Cryin' by Aerosmith, which he did well. Kris chose 'Heartless' by Kayne West. And Danny chose Joe Cocker's 'You Are So Beautiful'. Sadly Danny was sent home. Which sucks! He was the last of my three picks. Honestly I thought he'd have been a part of the top two.

The final two are Adam Lambert and Kris Allen. Of the two, Adam has the most talent. I think Kris got in on his looks. Don't the girls know he's married? So for this week it will be the contestant's favorite, Simon Fuller's choice and the Winner's Single. I'm predicting that Adam Lambert will win. We'll see come Wednesday night.

1 comment:

LindaWright said...

My top three picks were Adam, Allison and Megan. Megan was very interesting. Allison has more talent in her little finger than I ... well, we won't go there. And, Adam has an Elvis like quality. I don't mean in looks. It is in his performances.

This is my first year of watching an entire season. Unemployment sucks.