Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Traditions...Of A Sort

It doesn't always happen, but when my hubby is unable to be with me on my birthday my buddy and her hubby like to do something for me on my birthday. Sadly this year was one of those times, but Steve had duty on my actual birthday. So they did it a day later. What we do is get special coffees and then go to check out Christmas lights. After that we tend to go out to dinner.

So I was picked up and we got coffees from Java Cup Cafe. From there we headed out to Norfolk Botanical Gardens. Every year they do a light display for the holidays. It isn't just Christmas, they have all the seasons on display. Normally this is something my hubby and I go drive through every year, but as stated before he's not here to do this. Side note? Greta HATES nutcrackers, so I took this as a joke. We were making jokes about this one the entire drive up to the opening.

There's an 'Under The Sea' section. So I had to grab this one of the Norfolk Mermaid. I did get a new perspective this year. I've never seen Christmas lights through the eyes of a child. Well that and I normally ride up front. lol Sometimes, with the 'help' of a child, you see things you never saw before.

Of course, as a Navy Wife, I HAD to get a picture of Santa flying off the aircraft carrier. This is a staple in the light display. And I'm always proud to see it.

One of my husband and mine's absolutely favorite parts of the light display is the starry nights. They've added something new this year. You enter into a 'meteor shower'. Which is really cool and totally new! I do hope they do it again next year so the hubby and I can go view this.

One of my favorite parts is when you come over the bridge and look out into the lights. It almost feels like you're suspended in space. Really cool. Luckily my buddy, Greta, took these for me. I couldn't really get a good shot from the back seat.

The spiderweb used to be in with the fall decorations, but now it's at the end. And now the spiders move more. Really neat.

After this we had dinner and then went to one more lights display. All in all it was a very good night. Thanks Greta, Steve and Monster!

No comments: