Friday, August 12, 2011

INSURV

In know many bad words, much to my mother's dismay, and most of them are of the four letter variety except for INSURV.

I wasn't sure if I wanted this to be a rant or a bit on the educational side.

So, I've decided to do a bit of both.

So I'll put it in VERY simplistic terms.  Think of it as end of the year exams.  I know I'm over simplifying it, but it's the best way I can think to explain it.  The ship goes through all of these inspections to make sure it passes some set standards.

I can hear you now.  What's wrong with making sure the ship is running as it should?  What makes this a bad word?

In theory?  Nothing is wrong with it.  In fact, I'm sure it's a good thing.

In reality, the crew of said ship tends to go through a lot of work and stress.  They work L-O-N-G hours.

So, what makes this a bad word?  If you ever ask a Navy wife what her spouses ship is doing and she says INSURV the entire group will groan in understanding.  It means late nights, long hours and a stressed out and grumpy hubby.  And in some cases it means your spouse will work on Saturdays.  Possibly even Sundays.  So possibly you won't even get to have a day with them.

Why is this so awful to me?  Did you not read the above?  I rarely get to see my sweetie.  He's gone before sun up and home way after sun down.  I joke with him that he doesn't know what the sun looks like any more.  He's stressed, as is everyone on the ship.

I'm not complaining though, I promise.  Just thought to educate (very slightly) anyone who was interested in what INSURV was like and what it was kind of like for the families.

However, I think it has taught me a great deal about patience.  My hubby has WAY more than me.  :-)

To learn more about INSURV please click on the link and read away.

3 comments:

KG said...

Mine did that for weeks to a ship he doesn't belong to but was temporarily assigned to until his came into port. Oh was he a misriable man.

KG said...

Funny thing that made me giggle today. I found out thats what HIS ship is doing that. The one he was waiting for. All i could think of was your blog >.<

Unknown said...

i've never heard of that. hubby's squadron has only recently become a boat squadron though, so maybe he'll have to participate at some point... right now, deployment sucks enough that i think i'd like INSURV, lol.