Friday, August 31, 2012

Change Of Command

USS Vella Gulf
On August 29th I went to the Change of Command of a friend of mine.  It seemed only fitting since I was at the last Change of Command when he took command of the ship.

It really doesn't seem that long ago.  Where does the time go?

Chaplain & incoming CO
And wasn't it just a week or so ago when we were welcoming the ship home?  Wow!

I was running a bit behind that day, but luckily made it just before the ceremony started.  What is it with me and running behind lately?

As most of my friends know, I'm a bit of a shutterbug (okay maybe more than a bit) and will be more than happy to take photos for them.  In fact, I think it's kind of expected now.  You see me, you see me with camera.

So, of course, there I was with camera in hand trying to catch a few memories for them.

Rear Admiral Dave Thomas
Rear Admiral Thomas had some very nice things to say about the outgoing CO and the ship.

Remarks!
The ceremony went on without a hitch.  Even when my friend's hubby got a bit emotional when he gave his speech.  But then who wouldn't.  I think everyone in the audience got a bit teary eyed.

We ate and drank a little at the reception.  Water for me!  And I swear I was good about the food.
Relieved of command

And afterwards I took family photos.  The running joke is for every 1 photo that my friend's father-in-law takes I take 3.  He's getting better though.  So the joke is when we line them up I count.  Hopefully by the time I say three he's ready to take that photo, since I've already taken my 3.  I call him 'Quickdraw'.  He always chuckles when I do that.


The cutest couple!
 Luckily the family likes me.  Or at least it looks that way.  My sense of humor can be a bit odd at times.  So at least I didn't offend anyone.  I did get tons of pictures, but only picked a few to share.  I didn't think anyone would want to see the over 100 photos I snapped that day.
Family photo sans one


As always I had to get a picture of the adorable couple.  They're just SO cute together.  And of course a family shot.  The oldest daughter wasn't able to be there, since she'd just gone back to college.

Tradition!
So the dad grabbed a fern as a stand in.  Too funny!  And as is tradition there is always one photo where it looks like they're pushing the oldest daughter out of the photo.  Love this family!!

A view
Fear not, for this isn't his last duty station.  Just his last command at sea.  He's on to shore duty now and hopefully a lot of family down time.

As I was leaving I had to get one last parting shot of the ship.  If you look closely you can see the port hole, that was the captain's quarters.

Thanks Captain for letting me join you on this day!

No comments: