Monday, January 16, 2017

Crafty Days & Crafty Nights: Coasters

Rolling
Twisting
Please note, I wrote these a while ago and they've been sitting in my draft file.  I'm so sorry that it has taken a move and the holidays for me to finally get to them.  Please read on!

So I've been in need of something to do during the evening to keep my mind busy.

I figure it's better to keep my hands busy, because then I won't be tempted to eat empty calories.  Snacking when you're bored is a REALLY bad thing.

So I wanted something fun that's kind of just for me.

So I perused the internet.  That in itself can take a LOT of time.  I've got lots of things pinned on Pinterest.  It's high time I started trying some of these out.
Roll into ball

So here we go.

I can't remember which site I actually got this from, so I apologize for not giving credit where credit is due.  I shall endeavor to do better in the future.

Roll flat
My first project is coasters.  Who couldn't use some coasters right?  I'm forever breaking the ones I've bought from the store.  My animals may or may not also help with the breaking of coasters too close to edges.  And that can get pretty costly after a while.

So let's get cracking!  No pun intended.

What you need.

Sculpey Clay (you can find this at Walmart)
Parchment Paper
Metallic Paint Pen (I like gold)
Round Cookie Cutter (make sure it's bigger than you cup bottoms)
Sculpey Gloss Glaze
Rolling Pin

Cut with cookie cutter
First you cut your clay into 1/2 inch pieces.  You'll need six pieces for one coaster.  I like to use 2 - 3 different colors for a really cool marbling effect.  In the photos I've used blue and yellow.  Navy theme going here.

You then roll each piece until they are 8 - 9 inches long.  Twist the strands together and then roll them into a ball to mix.  To get a color block look, twist once.  To get a more intricate marbled look, which is what I did, continue to twist multiple times.

Ready to bake
Roll until 1/4 inch thick.  You don't want it any thinner, believe me.  If you don't like the look of the colors, roll into a ball again to blend.  Roll again if you need to and then cut with cookie cutter.  If they are too thin, then the edges will be wavy.  Not at all conducive to being a coaster if it won't lay flat.

Be sure that your cookie cutter is wide enough for your glasses to sit on.

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.  I didn't have parchment paper at the time, so I used my cookie sheet liner.

Bake at 300 degrees for 25-30 minutes.  I went for the longer time because I wanted them thoroughly baked.

Let cool.

Paint the metallic color around the edges.

Coat with gloss glaze.

Let dry.

Then. . . Use.  Use.  Use!

I hope you have as much fun making them as I did.  Quick, easy & fun.

*Note: I might use a bit more clay for each coaster so I can make them thicker.  I like my coasters thick.  This would also mean that I need to bake them longer.  Live and learn.


No comments: