Thursday, November 1, 2007

Pirates, Goblins and Witches. Oh My!

Last night the hubby and I were flooded by the many hoodlums in our neighborhood.

The trick or treaters were out to beg for candy from 5:30 until 9. They change the trick or treating hours every year. We lit up the ceramic jack-o-lantern. Turned on our porch light and waited. We had to throw our carved pumpkins away. The cold snap that we had, well let's just say they couldn't stand up to the temperature change. I'm doing that different next year.

We actually bought full size candy bars to pass out this year and we were a big hit. We also had fruity snacks for the younger ones. We had 150 treats to hand out and ended up having about 140 trick or treaters. And we turned our lights out around 8:30.

We decided to sit outside for a few hours since the ringing of the doorbell was driving our dog insane. And he in return was driving us bonkers. It was nice since our neighbor was out as well and we chatted. We also had a cat come trick or treat us. A little gray and white. Apparently she belongs to someone in the area and her name is Sasha. We were worried that she was a stray. One of the trick or treaters dads knew the cat and her owners. She stayed with us for a while. Mainly because the hubby fed her treats that our cat doesn't like. She seemed to appreciate them. I won't even start on my rant about letting your animal roam without a collar.

I did have to tell two different kids that they couldn't have candy because they had already been there. You know your pretty dumb when you're shouting back to your friends that this house is cool because they give out full size candy bars. One wasn't even in a real costume. Just a kid in a jersey begging for candy. When you're that obnoxious you leave an impression. So don't even try it.

I even let them choose the candy bar they wanted. There was a variety of different candy bars. Most kids thought it was cool, but I did have a few who were asking for specific candy. How rude I thought. You're getting free candy. Just be happy with what you get. A lot of times they didn't even say trick or treat, they just held out their bags. And it was rare to get a thank you. Although that's a forgivable offense as I remember being so excited I'd forget to say thank you. But what got me were there were a lot of parents dressed up. Which I thought was cool.

Next year will be different. We're going to go with a creepier theme. We'll carve pumpkins the night before Halloween. And I think I'll be placing candy in the bags from now on. Lessons learned.

No comments: