Friday, August 22, 2008

The Gull Whisperer

So July 29th was the last day my parents were in town. What to do? What to do? Hmm. Mom wanted to go to the beach, so I took her and Dad to Easton's Beach. It's also known as First beach. We got there early, so it wasn't crowded at all. Mom really wanted some shells. Dad picked up one only to discover it was still inhabited. That's when we discovered Mom's the Gull Whisperer. She'd get those clams cracked open and toss them out to the gulls.

Needless to say the gulls were in HEAVEN. I mean it was free food. And there was no work on their part. She had a very large following. Dad and I were laughing our butts off about this. All I could think of was Finding Nemo and the sea gulls saying 'Mine! Mine! Mine!' Which always gives me the giggles. An old legend that the hubby and I like is that sea gulls are actually the souls of sailors. Just a bit of trivia that puts a smile on my face.

I think Mom and Dad actually enjoyed this the most out of everything we did during their stay with us. We gathered a lot of large clam shells while there. I soaked them all in warm bleach water out in the sun for an hour and then let them dry in the sun for another hour before we packed them up. Mom wanted to use them in her flower garden. Which I think is a very cute idea. And luckily all the shells that she packed made it safely back to Illinois. In fact I used some of the left overs in my flower bed. Hey it's not like I'm taking them with me when I move.

On the plus side I did find three pieces of sea glass while I was walking with my parents. It was the first time I'd ever found sea glass. I found two pieces of green and one piece of white. I was so excited. I know it's the little things that excite me.

All in all it was a very nice visit and I missed them when they left. Thanks for coming out to visit me Mom and Dad!

No comments: